Knitting incest, stash-aholism and corrections
Not quite on the level of sex, lies and videotape, but I think it's kind of funny.
I bought several Sharon Miller patterns a couple of months ago, and am taking a look at the Lavender Garden Shawl. As it turns out, it's very similar to a shawl in the Lavish Lace book. It's a common enough pattern, no big deal. It's a common stitch configuration. And Sharon's explanations make more sense that Carol's do (at least, to me), so I'm not quibbling about buying the second pattern. But, Sharon's charted patterns for the shawl appear to have some errors, all of which could probably be fixed by recharting it with some additional symbols. And, the written directions alternate with being somewhat in and out of agreement with another statement about how to treat increases at the beginning of a row.
But I'm apparently reaching a more Zen state on the issue, because instead of being irritated, I'm actually quite pleased that I figured this out, and I'm quite pleased with my swatch! Do I think it'll work with the yarn I had intended for it? Well, maybe not, but if that happens, I can use the yarn that I intended to use on the shawl from Lavish Lace!!!
Lessons learned:
1) it's ok to have duplicate patterns
2) swatch to test out the pattern, pref using yarn you don't have any feelings for
3) stashing is highly underrated!!! Assuming, of course, that it doesn't result in renting a storage shed.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home