Musings....
OK, so where did my copy of Donna Druchas' Arctic Lace go? I know I had a bad time with the shawl that I was working on, but I'd like to go back to it at some point. It must be under a stack of books somewhere in the house!
The knitting guild I visited on Wednesday night (Purls of Wisdom) in Herndon had a guest named Gretchen!!! Solitude Farm (http://www.solitudewool.com/index.html) came with some of their yarn, and I bought some Shropshire yarn that was raised locally, and then hand dyed by the farm. I bought 2 skeins for my Mom (I blatantly copied my friend Jinann, who had wonderful taste in picking out yarn that my Mom would also like!) and 3 for me (probably another shawl, or maybe a smoke ring). When I get home, I'll take pictures and add them as a separate entry, and ask people for their input. Maybe it needs cables, and not lace. I don't know yet.
So far, I have absolutely no inspiration for a shawl for my yarn. I've been looking through a German stitch pattern book, and so far, I just think I might do a banded smoke ring, alternating the solid and the handpainted yarn. But then, I wonder if it might be too bulky.
For what it's worth, I am aware that I appear to knit shawls and nothing else. The easy answer to that is, so what? ;) I like knitting lace, and I like not having to join pattern pieces. So far, it's kept me very happy. There are non-lace projects that I want to do, like Blackberry from Knitty, Baby Bobbi Bear from Blue Sky Alpaca, a variant of Annie Modisett's Cocoon Shrug in a Rowan solid yarn. One of these days, I want to make a gansey. I figure that when I want to make them enough, I will.
Anyway, in the meantime, I'm still knitting, and I'm trying to continue to post progress here. I'm not a "flash your stash" girl, and I'm aware that my blog doesn't get a lot of traffic. But you know what? I like the *people* visiting my blog, so that's why I do it!
:)
Gretchen

1 Comments:
Your new yarn sounds great. And to me, blogging is also a way to record things so I can look them back up later, a way of blowing off steam if I am upset, and also good writing practice. So while readers are good, blogs serve a lot of other purposes. Blog on!
Post a Comment
<< Home